Quick course progress update and what should I make next?

Hi All,

It’s been a couple of weeks since my last post. I just wanted to touch base and give you a very quick update on the new course; Non-linear finite element analysis of 2D catenary & cable structures in Python.

I’m pleased to say all recording is complete and I’m probably halfway through the editing and review process. This is always the more tedious bit of course production - but I’m aiming to have the course out to you in the next few weeks. I have a 10-day trip back home to Ireland kicking off next week so that may slow things a little but rest assured the Macbook will be packed and I’ll be doing everything I can to get this wrapped up ASAP.

Despite the roadmap post I put out to you at the start of Feb, I’m in two minds about which course to put out after this one. I’m keen to get cracking on the next course but it’s a toss-up between:

• doing the 3D version of the non-linear cable course (so, cablenet structures)
  • starting a whole new topic for DegreeTutors on Structural Safety and Reliability analysis (Monte Carlo simulations, probabilities of failure etc.)
  • and taking a break from the heavy coding courses and doing some analytical modelling of plate and shell structures…so not FE but good old fashioned calculus to analyse plates and shells from first principles. This is something we should cover before we build the plate and shell FE course which will come a little further down the line.

I’m conscious that we’ve been leaning pretty heavily into Python bases structural analysis solvers over the last year. I still want to produce courses that are helpful and relevant to those who may not be that interested in coding-based courses.

As the members who keep the whole show on the road, I would value any input you have. Feel free to email me or share your thoughts below this post.

Also, I’m still on the lookout for any content proposals you have for your own tutorial articles that I can publish on DegreeTutors.com (see my post from 3 weeks ago for more details).

That’s all for now.
Speak soon,
Seán