Finite Element Analysis of 3D Frames is on the way!

Hi All,

Happy new year - I hope everyone has had a bit of downtime to recharge over the xmas break.

I’ve been busy developing the next course and just wanted to give you a quick update. Although I may have said to some of you that an RC design course was next up (will land in 2021 for sure), I thought, while I’m deep in matrix analysis mode, I may as well expand into full 3D frame analysis.

So the next course will be, ‘Finite Element Analysis of 3D Braced Moment Frames in Python’. This course is going to ‘complete the picture’ and give you great flexibility to analyse a much wider range of structures, consisting of 3D beam and bar (axial) elements. The portal frame below is a classic ‘run of the mill’ structure that this type of analysis can be applied to. But you can get much more creative - I have some ideas for interesting structures we’ll model in the course.

We’ll again leverage Blender to quickly and efficiently build and export our model data for analysis in a Jupyter Notebook. I’m nearly there with the code, then comes recording, editing and the million other little tasks associated with building a new course. So we’re still a little way off launching but I still want’t to give a sense of what’s next.

Thanks for your continued support.

Talk soon,
Seán