45. Section overview (2D Trusses)

Questions and discussion for this lecture live here. Fire away by hitting Reply below :fire:

Hello, I am a bit confused about the self-weight of the structure, in which part of the code is the self-weight implemented?

Thank you

Hi,

We don’t actually cover adding self-weight in this course - although it’s relatively straightforward to do and a good challenge exercise for you when you’ve finished the course.

We cover it explicitly in the following lecture in the 3D space frame course (the 3D version of this course)…

Seán

Hi, is there anything else I can add to the code to make the analysis predictions more realistic? What other aspects covered in the early theory lectures are missing from the current code?

Thank you

Hi,

I’m not sure what you mean when you say…

What other aspects covered in the early theory lectures are missing from the current code?

It’s not immediately obvious to me what (other than self-weight calculation perhaps) might be missing.

You should probably think about what real world scenario you’re trying to model and let this inform what additional features you need to include in your idealised structural model.

To ask, what else can we add to the code to make it more realistic is a pretty broad question to try and answer.

S